December 2, 2012

Day 2-Thanking the Sheriff's dept

This has been so much fun already!  

Two great things happened today...we made Fudge Meltaways and a card for the Sheriff's dept.  And, I got an email from the doctor (yes, on a *Sunday*....she is wonderful) saying that she was ready to go with the referral to the neurologist on Monday.  

I hope everyone reading the blog right now has read my prior post on the concept of random acts of kindness or paying it forward.  Our version is "Little Loves" that we are doing as an advent calendar each day this month.  

The idea appealed to me, in part, because I wanted to stop wallowing in the misery of not being able to walk or function well right now.  Well, it is working so well and making me so happily distracted that I feel selfish again...ha ha!  Oh well...

For anyone that wants to make an easy holiday treat that almost everyone raves about and is a long time family recipe (in truth, we certainly didn't make it up...we've just made it a bunch of times ;)  

Here we go with Fudge Meltaways:

Crust:
1/2 cup butter
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
Melt butter and chocolate together. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and press into 9” baking pan. Chill.



Middle layer
Filling:
1/4 cup softened butter
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
Mix together until smooth. It will be very thick! Add a splash of milk if needed. You want it to be thicker than cake frosting but you need to be able to spread it on top of the crust. Chill.

The recipe forgot to mention the step of licking the spatula!
 Final layer!

Topping:
1-2 oz of unsweetened chocolate
Melt and spread on top of filling. Chill. Cut before completely firm.





Completely yummy!


Everyone had to try a bite!  The little ones loved it.  My teenagers were a little less enthusiastic.  But honestly, every time I have brought it anywhere, I have people that ask for the recipe.


Here is the card that Amelia made.




They all wrote a message of thanks inside.

Success!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!